11 June, 2009

Kidney Magic

Figure A: Current model of how Shiga toxins (Stx) produced by enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H7 (EHEC) gets from the intestinal lumen to the kidney where tubular nephritis and glomerular metaplasia are directly observed. EHEC is not an invasive enteric pathogen.

I actually used this diagram, done in chalk and charcoal*, in a presentation for lab meeting in presenting lots of recent literature that suggests that Stx hitches a ride on activated intraepithelial neutrophils. As a result of this presentation and in particular this slide, we designed some experiments that might never be done.

*If you can spot the comics references in this, congratulations, you are nearing the Toaster Valence of Nerdness.

_____________________________________________


In my Silence Is the Enemy post, I mentioned that I would donate anything gained from comissions or art requests to Dr. Isis' Doctors Without Borders funds. Due to a very generous response, the remainder of this month will be image heavy as I agreed to post some old stuff and make a bit of new stuff.

I'm still accepting new requests as well.

No comments: