15 February, 2009

Music: Punk



Without music there's not much reason to wake up in the morning.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of punk music. I mean, I've pretty much always liked punk music, but lately it's just been in really heavy rotation through my media players (as opposed to hip-hop, electronica, drum and bass, avant-garde, classical, or heavy metal). I don't know why, and I don't think it matters why. It's been stuff like The Dead Kennedys, The Damned, The Sex Pistols, Gogol Bordello (the movie above makes me want to grow a moustache), Bikini Kill, The Violent Femmes, The Clash, etc..

I once played bass in a metal band.

I have played bass in jazz band.

I have played bass/cello in an avant-garde industrial jazz outfit.

And I have played cello in several chamber music ensembles.

But I have yet to play in a punk band, and lately I REALLY WANT TO play punk music! I don't know why, but it's something about how fast and loud and brash the music is that draws me to it. And it's not just because it'd give me a reason to pull my Doc Martens and zipper pants back out. It's been a while since I've participated in any collaborative music, and I guess I miss it. I hate shopping for clothing and buying it because it usually never fits, but every rocker, even punks, need a stage ensemble. This'd be mine:


No comments: